A blog by an American expatriate living in the heart of New Europe


"It's a lateral transfer" -- George W. Bush, 43rd President of the United States
my photo
  Name:
  Gustav
  Location:
  Warsaw, Poland

view profile | e-mail Gustav


*roundtrip ticket

Sunday, January 02, 2005

Two billion and counting

It's good news. And I was asking myself where the corporate world was in all of this, and found this story.

It's all pledged -- I don't think any of it has come to fruition yet, and more needs to be given, but I think these companies will. Call it enlightened self-interest.

And I'm very happy to see our millitary help to speed this relief. Gustav duly notes that this is the right move politically, as well as morally. He regrets moves weren't made earlier -- but something is better than nothing, and politics ought not get in the way of helping these folks out.

And if you have any doubts about why it's needed, check out this bbc report from Banda Aceh.

"It's the biggest outpouring of relief in such a short period of time," said Jan Egeland, the U.N. emergency relief coordinator. "International compassion has never been like this."

'nuff said.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

< Main


american expat piękna polska michigan, my michigan Pijemy po polsku - Kickin' it Polish style Warsaw Station on Feedburner subscribe to my feed my feed