A blog by an American expatriate living in the heart of New Europe


"It's a lateral transfer" -- George W. Bush, 43rd President of the United States
my photo
  Name:
  Gustav
  Location:
  Warsaw, Poland

view profile | e-mail Gustav


*roundtrip ticket

Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Michigan, My Michigan

I found this on http://www.cnn.com. Since I’m from Michigan, I thought I’d post it:

(CNN) -- The race between Democratic presidential nominee Sen. John Kerry and President Bush is too close to call in the battleground state of Michigan, according to a CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll released Tuesday evening.

Among likely voters surveyed, Kerry was the choice of 50 percent, with 44 percent for Bush and 1 percent for independent Ralph Nader. The poll had a margin of error of plus or minus 4 percentage points.

Among registered voters, Kerry was at 50 percent, Bush at 43 percent and Nader still at 1 percent.

The poll also found that the outcome of a proposed constitutional amendment that would ban gay and lesbian marriage is too close to be determined.

Among likely voters, 51 percent said they would vote against such a ban, while just 45 percent said they would support it. Among registered voters, 51 percent were opposed and 44 percent said they would support it, the poll found.

Michigan is one of a dozen states where opponents of same-sex marriage have put constitutional amendments on the November ballot to prevent the possibility of gay marriages.


Gustav’s two bold predictions:
1. Kerry will win Michigan, and
2. the gay marriage amendment there will fail.

I was there this summer, all over the state, and I really got the feeling that most folks were leaning towards Kerry. Bush is campaining in Western Michigan (a good idea) but I don’t think it will bring him the state. If I were a Kerry advisor (oh, if only!) I would tell him to spend less time in Michigan and more in Ohio. More electoral votes there—and while he’s at it, he should send Teresa to Pennsylvania. He’s losing there where he was winning a few days ago. She’s a (semi-) native, and reminding Pennsylvainians that they would have someone on their side living in the White House isn’t a bad idea.

But what do I know? I’m just a political junkie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

< Main


american expat piękna polska michigan, my michigan Pijemy po polsku - Kickin' it Polish style Warsaw Station on Feedburner subscribe to my feed my feed