A blog by an American expatriate living in the heart of New Europe


"It's a lateral transfer" -- George W. Bush, 43rd President of the United States
my photo
  Name:
  Gustav
  Location:
  Warsaw, Poland

view profile | e-mail Gustav


*roundtrip ticket

Thursday, September 08, 2005

A red herring

I love this quote from Ray Haynes, a Republican from Southern California, on the recently passed bill designating marriage as between "two persons" instead of between a "man and a woman" in his state, and which Schwarzenegger will veto, to his peril:

"Engaging in social experimentation is not the role of the legislature."

Remember when Republicans were criticizing Massachussets judges for "legislating from the bench"? They said it was up to the legislature to decide these issues. Now, apparently, it is not, because it is "social experimentation". Why have we not heard this argument before? Because it´s a new line of attack, against a new branch of government, which has realized the hypocrisy in restricting marriage rights to heterosexuals. It is now abundantly clear that conservatives are not concerned with "activist judges legislating from the bench". Indeed, what if some "activist judge" said that there were no right to privacy enshrined in the Constitution, or declared Bush´s resident worker program illegal? My bet is you wouldn´t hear a peep from social conservatives about "activist judges" then.

The "legislating from the bench" argument is a red herring, devised as a clever rhetorical tool for conservatives to defend their bigoted social agenda. We knew it before. Mr. Haynes has just brought it out for everyone to see.

6 Comments:



Blogger Leo said...

Hi! I like your blog, it looks good and is well written! As for this particular post I couldn't agree more--well said!! Check out my site if you want, it's called Lionboi Blues & News and it has a link to sign a Gay Marriage petition. Keep Blogging!! We need all the voices, against bigotry and the right-wing conservative agenda, we can get.

9/08/2005 06:51:00 PM  


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Must be the luck of the Irish eh?

Sorry Dude, at least Ohio State is right there with ya. ;-)

Is that all the Big 10 has?

9/11/2005 05:38:00 AM  


Blogger Gustav said...

Knute, I know who you are, and you are cruel to bring me back to reality from the ecstasy of my vacation.

No, I suppose it´s the irish who are cruel, or michigan, for losing.

Texas beat Ohio State, eh? I don´t know whether to laugh my ass off or break down crying. I hate them both.

Upon reflection, I´m happy. The Ohio State hate is deeper and stronger.

Is OSU and UM all the Big Ten has? I hope not, Wisconsin puts out a decent team every 4 or 5 years, so does Purdue. I hope Penn State will some day come back to its old glory. I´ve got a soft spot in my heart for Minnesota, when they´re not playing Mich for the Brown Jug. Sometime´s they´re a sleeper.

I´m going to avoid mourning for a while, sink back into vacation mode, and accept yet another UM season destined to end in some worthless bowl game. After losing to Notre Dame, the season is already sour, but can be sweetened a bit later perhaps, with victories over Michigan State and OSU.

9/12/2005 10:16:00 PM  


Blogger Redneck Texan said...

Darn, you saw through my brilliant disguise.

I have no doubt you would have been happy to gloat if the shoe had been on the other foot. Just wondered if your hate for OSU made you root for Texas.

BAM.....did you hear that....thats the sound of a puck banging against plexiglas. Music to my ears. Dec 27th, Jan 8th, Jan 28th, and April 17th are some dates you might want to circle on your calendar...there will be more gloating.

Cant wait for your vacation pics.

9/13/2005 03:12:00 PM  


Blogger Gustav said...

Warsaw Station will be moving to a new home base within the next few months, so I'm hoping then to get a new satellite or cable tv contract that can get me some American sports. Now that hockey's back, I have to find a way to watch.

For vacation pics, tune in to Sunday vista blogging.

9/22/2005 03:41:00 PM  


Blogger Dr Purva Pius said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
2. Telephone Numbers:……….
3. Address and Location:…….
4. Amount in request………..
5. Repayment Period:………..
6. Purpose Of Loan………….
7. country…………………
8. phone…………………..
9. occupation………………
10.age/sex…………………
11.Monthly Income…………..
12.Email……………..

Regards.
Managements
Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com

11/21/2016 11:02:00 AM  

Post a Comment

< Main


american expat piękna polska michigan, my michigan Pijemy po polsku - Kickin' it Polish style Warsaw Station on Feedburner subscribe to my feed my feed