A blog by an American expatriate living in the heart of New Europe


"It's a lateral transfer" -- George W. Bush, 43rd President of the United States
my photo
  Name:
  Gustav
  Location:
  Warsaw, Poland

view profile | e-mail Gustav


*roundtrip ticket

Thursday, August 04, 2005

Talking points

* Moscow demands Poland's formal apology for assault on children of Russian diplomats

Related:

Poland's Foreign Ministry Expresses Regret Over Attack on Russian Children

Belarus-Poland backgrounder, Eurasia Daily Monitor


* Gingrich Says Ohio Race Holds Lesson for GOP

- I feel a 2006 upset coming on...


* Bush: 'Guest worker' plan will benefit U.S. employers

- Interesting that he made this speech in front of a home crowd, and not in Washington eh? I wonder how the Texans took it.


* Bush is a relativist!: [P]olitics are no excuse for indulging quackery, not from a president -- especially not from a president -- who claims, at least some of the time, that he cares about education.


* I can't decide if this is depressing or encouraging: Mozilla goes commercial

- Apparently Firefox is becoming so popular that Mozilla thinks it can make a profit from it. Profiting from open-source, grass-roots efforts - bad. Bigger competition for Microsoft and Internet Explorer - good.


* US urges N Korea to sign deal

- And what if they don't?


* A small victory: Domestic partners supported by ruling



* Media shake-up in the Motor City



-Colorado is taking over Detroit media! Soon we'll all be Avalanche fans...


* Making progress: First cloned dog is born


* An encouraging sign: Iran's new president: Scrap all WMDs


* Hilarious: Londoners Travel Naked to Avoid Being Shot on Public Transport




* Juan Cole's history of the "War on Terror"

- an excellent read. My favorite sentence is his last:

The American Right, having created the Mujahideen and having mightily contributed to the creation of al-Qaeda, abruptly announced that there was something deeply wrong with Islam, that it kept producing terrorists.

- How he gets there is very enlightenting.

* The chaos in Sudan is growing: Gangs threaten revival of civil war in Sudan

4 Comments:



Blogger Gustav said...

After months of being able to download Firefox free, do you thing people are going to buy it? Or will they just go to the next open source browser down the list.

OR Maybe Firefox will continue to be free? The details are very sketchy.

8/04/2005 05:54:00 PM  


Blogger Gustav said...

You make a compelling argument to support Firefox. No, I haven't tried Opera, or Safari for that matter. (Why waste time and memory downloading another browser when I'm so satisfied with Firefox?)

I can't go with you on the Mac though. If you want something that looks as if it belongs in a 14 year old's room next to her teddy bears, fine. I like my black monitor and sharp angles.

I'm vehemently anti-Apple. Instead of making PCs like everybody else, they had to create their own computers, with different functions, different software, different graphics, equipment, etc, so if you buy one Mac you're doomed to buy only Apple products. Sure, you can manage with your HP mouse or Dell keyboard, but they won't work exactly right. The one-buttoned mouse was the last straw. Now, they've got a multi-button mouse, but if you want to make use of that you'd better be prepared to shell out 49 bucks. They won't bundle it with their computers! These bastards at Apple trap you into buying their computers with pretty designs, and then force you to buy Apple-only products for everything to work properly - all the while sacrificing functionality!

Then, their products don't work right in conjunction with other systems. Not long ago I downloaded iTunes and was pleasantly surprised with the very easy-to-use interface and music library - until I realized how darn slow it works. Another problem is that when I choose the shuffle function, the shuffle pops up in a different window? Why? I hate clutter on my desktop, so I closed the original window, and the shuffle window closed, cutting me off mid-song. Aaaargh! I bet I wouldn't be having these problems if my iTunes were installed on a Mac...

That's a way to make me never buy your products, rather than give in and shell out all my dough so everything works right.

I don't deny them their place in the market, and that mouse sure sounds nice and looks pretty, but Steve Jobs won't be getting my 49 clams.

On that note, I must admit that my sister loves her Mac (as all Mac owners do - I think that once-bitten apple logo has the power to brainwash).

And that's why I'll never buy a bloody iPod. Can anyone out there recommend an MP3 player whose screen doesn't look like the one on my 1989 Nintendo Game Boy?

8/04/2005 10:31:00 PM  


Blogger Gustav said...

Offended? I thought you might be. Most are when they hear my extreme Apple views. But you especially are the underdog-lovin' type (except when it comes to the Lakers).

Hmm, does the Mac come with its own spreadsheet program?

Microsoft isn't perfect, of course, of course. Word drives me up the wall. They'll take my Wordperfect when they pry it from my cold, dead hands! Maybe you ought to try Corel-designed Quattro Pro for your spreadsheets?

Want something different? Have a friend build you a computer and install Linux. That's the REAL underdog. (In the interest of full disclosure, I've never even laid my eyes on a Linux OS, but i'd like to)

- Well, it won't look like a powerbook, but if style is a top computing priority, Mac yourself silly.

Sick of right clicking??
Yes, those extra functions are SOOO inconvenient. Don't even get me started on the evils of scroll wheels! (I have a Logitech wireless mouse at home that I swear by. Functional, stylish, comfortable, simple.)

Speaking of right-clicking, have you discovered the "blogthis" function?

-A quick check of your blog shows that if you have, you haven't made use of it. Oh well. You're a busy man, I know Andrew. Still, I'd love to see some pics of your place, etc. Maybe after you get the Power Book.

8/05/2005 02:10:00 AM  


Blogger Redneck Texan said...

I spent years as a devoted Amiga user. I tried everything I could to convince myself that IBM Compatibles were inferior, but I finally got tired of walking into software stores that had 25 aisles of IBM software and 1 aisle for Apple and Amiga software, or go to an Amiga specific store, where due to lack of volume, everything is overpriced....and boy am I glad I finally switched.

What do you mean I have to tell it what a sound card is every time I boot?

Thats one reason I think Microsoft having a virtual monopoly on Operating systems is a good thing. Developers don't have to design their products for multiple platforms.

8/05/2005 05:29:00 AM  

Post a Comment

< Main


american expat piękna polska michigan, my michigan Pijemy po polsku - Kickin' it Polish style Warsaw Station on Feedburner subscribe to my feed my feed