A blog by an American expatriate living in the heart of New Europe


"It's a lateral transfer" -- George W. Bush, 43rd President of the United States
my photo
  Name:
  Gustav
  Location:
  Warsaw, Poland

view profile | e-mail Gustav


*roundtrip ticket

Friday, May 20, 2005

Bush 'would veto' stem cell bill

BBC:

US President George W Bush has said he will veto any legislation that would ease restrictions on embryonic stem cell research in the United States.

He was speaking a day after South Korean scientists announced they had made stem cells tailored to the individual for the first time.

"I'm very concerned about cloning," said Mr Bush. "I worry about a world in which cloning would be acceptable."


I wonder if the President just saw the premier of Revenge of the Sith


Next week, the US Congress is to discuss funding for such research.

The House of Representatives is to debate legislation to expand the number of stem cell lines that are eligible for federally-funded research.

Supporters of the bill believe the vote will be close.

President Bush said he was a strong supporter of adult stem cell research, but using material from human embryos was a different matter.

"I've made it very clear... the use of federal money, taxpayers' money, to promote science which destroys life in order to save life, I'm against that," he told reporters.

...unless it's at the Pentagon...

"If the bill does that, I will veto it," Mr Bush said, threatening to use his presidential right for the first time in almost five years that he has been in office.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

< Main


american expat piękna polska michigan, my michigan Pijemy po polsku - Kickin' it Polish style Warsaw Station on Feedburner subscribe to my feed my feed